This recipe was adopted from one of my favorite cookbooks, Mooswood Restaurants Cooking for Health. I made a few modifications, to fit my pantry, but I strongly recommend the original recipe and this cookbook. The book isn’t completely vegan, but what is not vegan can easily be substituted for vegan ingredients. The shake recipes alone are well worth the price of admission.
Give this a try. It’s the perfect accompaniment to chili, and anything else that warrants a sweet bread.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1/2 of a nice sized bell pepper (chopped small)
- 1 handful of scallions (chopped small)
- 1/4 cup corn (can be frozen)
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375
- Combine ingredients, mix well and put in prepared pan
- Cook for approximately 40 minutes
You must make this. Oh yeah – and buy that cookbook!!!!